With summer around the corner there are more people walking, biking and driving in Flagstaff. In 2012 there were 1,565 pedestrian accidents in Arizona. See 2012 Arizona Crash Facts Summary, Arizona Department of Transportation. A little less than ten percent of these accidents resulted in the death of the pedestrian. Id. In rural areas, like Flagstaff, pedestrian accidents account for eleven percent of all pedestrian accidents in Arizona, and eighteen percent of these accidents result in the death of the pedestrian.
One important factor in pedestrian accidents or pedestrian collisions is that most people involved in these types of cases are over the age of 45, and most collisions occur in the cross walk. Id.
Pedestrian Safety Tips To Consider:
- Always walk on the sidewalk; or there are no sidewalks, walk on the left side of the road facing traffic, so that drivers will be able to see you.
- When possible, cross all streets at crosswalks, signals or corners.
- Try to stop a safe distance from the curb, and then look and always listen for traffic.
- If there is a parked car is blocking your view, step to the front of the car looking left and right, and then look left again before crossing.
- Always push the “Pedestrian Walk” button for the “WALK” signal. It should give you more time to cross the street.
- Make eye contact with drivers before crossing the street. This will ensure that they see you.
- If you are walking in the evening, wear reflective, bright or light-colored clothing.
Driving Safety Tips To Consider:
- Wear sunglasses to avoid the sun’s glare.
- Wash your windshield and keep the glass clean.
- Give pedestrians the right of way in a crosswalk
- Look for pedestrians stepping out from between parked cars.
- Look for pedestrians before you enter or exit a driveway. Pedestrians might be less alert here than when crossing streets.
- Use side windows to look around you before backing up. Checking mirrors is not enough.
- Take extra care around buses, especially school buses.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a pedestrian accident or any other type of accident, call the Law Offices of Gonzales and Poirier today at (928) 774-5400. You may also email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or message us from our website at www.triallawyersaz.com or www.triallawyersaz.com. We handle cases in Flagstaff, Holbrook, Winslow, Williams, Sedona, Cottonwood, Prescott and other parts of the State. Our initial consultation is free and we work on a contingency fee basis, which means that we don’t get paid, unless you get paid. The goal is to settle your case with the responsible party. Should they decide not the settle, our aggressive trial attorneys will sue the responsible party.
If you have been injured this article cannot substitute consulting an attorney to discuss your legal rights.